Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ramadan Kareem! NPO time...

Greetings to the highest for all our Muslim brothers and sisters!
Today was a typical day for me. Took a bath, prepared for work and arrived exactly 8am (working hours in our office). I was delighted with very warm greetings from my fellow Muslim brother (Egyptian Nationality) shook my hand and gave their "Salam mua lay kum" greeting. "Alaykum a Salam" I responded with full of grace and sincerity. We went to ourr individual stations and to my
surprise he gave me a very sweet brown nourished with sugar candy. The taste was really good. It's like having breakfast+dinner with only 2 inch size candy. Then the greeting of Ramadan Kareem was given to all fellow officemates. I was really happy to see them and I gave my warm sympathy to their major celebration in each year, the Ramadan month.

As we are going to celebrate the month long Ramadan season may peace and enlightenment be with all our hearts. Peace be with you and God always bless you! Ramadan is the ninth month in Islamic calendar and this is the only month where the English and the Islamic calendar moves on the same days (as they normally have fluctuations of 2 or 3 days). They consider this as a month of fasting (no food and no water from dawn to sunset) and this is what NPO means on the title. NPO is a medical term for "nothing per orem" or "nothing per mouth" basically means no food and water because of some certain health conditions. But to make it clear, this NPO thing is just a simple mnemonic for me so I will not forget to fast special in public places. This is my first year in the Kingdom so I need to be wary and be very vigilant to their customs and traditions.

For everyones FYI, the root word of Ramadan is "ramida" which denotes intense heat, scorched ground, and shortness of supply. The activities are fasting, prayer and reading of Quran, Iftar (evening food), charity (food giving in the evening), and Eid ul-Fitr (final day of Ramadan and marks the solemn giving of food to the needy). We can also expect successive decorations (lanterns and series lights depending on each country). The remarkable thing is the increase in digestive disorders because of the said fasting as compared to the other months of the year.

As this is my first time having Ramadan in the Kingdom, I am curious and will truly abide to their customs as a sign of respect and hoping that I can somehow join on their offerings in the evening.

To everyone, may this season of Ramadan be an instrument of loving and continued peace within each hearts. A world away of anger and tension is a world that we deserve. Peace be with you all!



thank you for the visit. see my facebook click here

1 comment: